Saturday, January 21, 2006

Exercising caution

Like Wade Burleson, I am a younger minister in our denomination. I am presently serving as a trustee on one of our SBC boards and over the last seven years, I have yet to see any instance of hidden agendas being foisted upon us by powerful outside interests. Yes, I have heard differing points of view expressed and listened to suggestions, but I have never felt pressured or bullied. Honestly.

By nature I am cautious and a bit suspicious of motives at times. I try to be discerning and to keep my eyes and ears open. Yet I am reserving final judgement on this matter being discussed concerning Wade and the IMB trustee board until later. I might be wrong but after reading many of the comments and blogs, it sounds like most have already made up their minds in spite of not having been a part of the problem nor solution.

May I encourage us all to be a bit more judicious in the days to come? Good people often do disagree. Witnesses of the same accident usually give differing accounts of what happened without any attempt at duplicity. A good rule of thumb would be "love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."

My experience as a trustee has been extremely positive and has made me rejoice in all that is right and good with the SBC. At least with my board. I have grown to love and trust my fellow trustees. I urge all younger SBC ministers to not assume the worst about our SBC trustee boards just because of a few bad apples.

Cooperation is still the best way to reach a lost world for Christ.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dan Paden said...

Good post. I'll link to it, and combine that with a link to Wade's last post, which will inevitably lead at least some people back to your post.

You can accomplish the same thing by creating a link to someone else's post--that is, if you want some of the people who've been reading those posts to read yours. Blogger will automatically create a link back to yours on the original post, which will get followed by other interested parties.

As obsessive as it sounds, making an occasional comment on someone else's blog will also draw hits on your blog, because when you log in to make a comment, a link to your profile, which will contain a link to your blog, will appear.

You'll soon have the hang of it. It doesn't take near as much time as you might think.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Bowden McElroy said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:39 PM  
Blogger Bowden McElroy said...

Dr. Tom:

It is good to hear you say that your experience with one of our boards has been positive. I would have to say that my experience with our local association and the BGCO has been positive. I have no experience with the national convention.

But, (you knew there was a "but" coming, didn't you?)it seems to me that some things are either openly admitted to or backed up by another trustee who was at the same meeting (Rick Thompson).

Those things include: the doctrinal stance reflected in the new policies. That, to me seems pretty clear cut: either one believes the change is well and good or one believes the board is redefining what Baptists believe while circumventing the convention as a whole.

And, no one seems to be disputing the claims of husband/wife teams on a board or of multiple terms on a board (two terms I can understand, more than that I have a problem with).

While there is much that is gossip (ie a group from one particular state with a prominent minister acting as a puppet master), there are enough open and undisputed concerns to give me pause.

By the way, I like what you write, but I am much more likely to read, and take seriously, when the writer is known rather than autonomous. "Dr. Tom in Tulsa" really doesn't narrow it down too much for me. Is there a reason for your cautiousness?

7:43 PM  
Blogger Dan Paden said...

I'd be willing to bet, judging from what I see on my sitemeter, that more people are reading this than you may realize--possibly twenty or thirty people a day, so far. It may not seem like a lot, but those are people who've followed the links from Wade's blog to mine, and thence to yours, so they have an interest in the subject and are open to your opinion.

4:31 AM  
Blogger steve w said...

Dr. Tom,

A good word of caution!

However, if you are not aware of this, until recently some the IMB trustees were dialoguing with people that either emailed or called them. I guess now, there's been some suppression of that. I understand now that officially everything is supposed to go through Dr. Hatley. I only point this out to say that there have been a number of people that have received information and answers, including unsatisfactory answers, from other trustees.

I would also suggest that there are many people that have thoughts and concerns about what we do know, but have not yet made a final judgment on this matter. But knowing what we know at this time, we think we actually would be part of the problem by remaining silent, and by doing nothing.

Thank you for your service, and thank you for your post.

- Steve Walker

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home